Thursday, April 28, 2011

No more tornadoes!

I can hardly stand tornadoes. They might be my biggest nightmare next to sharks in the water. That's probably the real reason my parents left Oklahoma. But for real, last night there were more tornado warnings in our area than usual. Michael was at the Nats game until the wee hours of the morning so I spent some time over at my parent's house. Around 10:45pm I decided to drive back to my home and just get ready for bed. On the road I knew that something had to be up - I've only seen that type of lightening in the movie Twister. (why I would even allow myself to watch that movie is beyond me.) When I got closer to my home the rain began to pour down and my dad all of a sudden called me. He's not an alarmist and not one to lead you to fear but this was the convo: "Where are you?" "Almost home, WHY?" (I knew this couldn't be good.) He said, "Well there's severe weather headed our way in about 2 minutes." "WHAT TYPE OF SEVERE WEATHER?" calmly he said, "Like a Tornado Warning." Begin freakout mode: Megan's heart races, legs shake uncontrollably and thinks about how she has no basement, doesn't know where the flashlight is, much less a battery, there's no TV to even watch the news and I didn't want to crawl in a coat closet all alone. "What should I do???" "Well, go into your house and get a radio and..," "NO!!! I'm coming back to your house. What do I do? What do I do?" He then tells me what direction the storm is headed (in 2 mins)which puts me in an even bigger panic because I just moved and I don't know where southwest is. So like a pregnant and scared you-know-what-less maniac I race back to my parent's home driving at least 15 mph over the speed limit - knowing full well how dangerous that alone is - but at the time I had no desire to meet a twister. I made it before the storm reached their neighborhood and we all sat in the basement listening to Sue Palka say "seek immediate shelter, move to an inner room in your house" over and over and waited until the warning passed. No way I was about to do that by myself in my home. Then I tried it one more time and made it home, only to be spooked out by crazy winds and a night terror of a tornado ripping through our home that woke me up at 5am. At 5am I grabbed my phone and saw that there were more storms headed out way and at 6am mom texted me telling me that our county had yet another tornado warning. I am done. I am a big old baby. I am thankful that we don't live in tornado alley and more seriously, am praying for the families and towns in Alabama that were so terribly destroyed by the storms yesterday. I'm so so sad for them.

Last night concluded day 4 of unwanted emotions and things happening to us. Not superstitious, but hoping that today puts a stop to this trend.

In other news, BABY is doing well! I had an appointment yesterday morning. Met the PA in my doctor's office and totally love her too. I don't want to ever leave their practice. Baby girl moves around a lot, it's like my sweet little secret that reminds me that she's real and we're getting to know each other. We are so close to having her named! That'll be so fun. There's not much else to report at this point - which I am thankful for, healthy baby and healthy mom! God is good. Especially because he kept those darn twisters away from us.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

ohhhh Megan. I didn't even realize there was a tornado warning yesterday until like midnight.

Megan said...

Oh and Michael just informed me that the tornado touched down and caused damage to the grocery store that I contemplated going into for cover. Bad idea, good job avoiding it.

Boni said...

You hide your fear well. Or maybe I was too tired and drugged up to discern the fear in you as you sat next to me on the sofa in the basement. I kept thinking, "What important things should I grab and have down here?" At least I had my purse, and my phone, and more importantly, 4 and 1/2 family members next to me.