Thursday, May 7, 2009

UVA haters


Recently I noticed that when my identity concepts are breached in any way, I get offended and defensive. Not qualities that I am proud of but God has work to do in all of us right? This past week some co-workers of mine began to bash UVA college students - in front of me. They were complaining that the students were filtering into the "city" too much. Some exact quotes are:
"I saw some walking on the downtown mall and I was like, "Whoa! Go back to your corner of the world."
"I hate when they're all dressed up in those dumb shirts and ties and sundresses. What is that about?!"
"They need to stay on the Corner and they have bars there. Stay away from mine."

Needless to say, I did not contribute to their conversation but rather, fumed quietly inside my head. Want to know what I think? Here it is: If it wasn't for the University of Virginia school and it's medical center, this town would be nothing more than an isolated valley filled with country-glam horse breeder's wives, hippies, goths, granolites and rednecks. UVA and all that comes with it provides the heartbeat of this city. Yes, it's nice and quiet here during the summer, I am not disagreeing with that. But the professional and continuing education crowd that UVA draws here pumps life into Charlottesville. 

As far as dressing up goes, there is a huge misconception about that. Yes there is an old time tradition of dressing up for home football games, but less than half of the student body participates and there are only 6 home games a year. Hmm when else would we dress up? Oh, date functions, formals, graduation.....sounds pretty similar to every other person in the US to me. We students don't stroll around in sundresses and pearls on a regular basis. I don't even own pearls.

Lastly, UVA students are some of the brightest young minds in the country. Steps above most other Virginia state schools. We all know it, statistics show it, you can't deny it. Ranks in the Top 25 public universities in the nation??? JMU is awesome (my beloved sister is currently being educated there) but I've been told that it stands for Just Missed UVA. Over the top maybe, it just so happens that these smack talkers went to school there.  But seriously, next time you're sipping your freshly squeezed mojito at Mono Loco and a group of UVA students walks in the door, welcome them with open arms and be thankful that they are here to keep the economy alive in this small town. 


6 comments:

Bek said...

Um. Yes. YOu are correct. Charlottesville can thank us for it's prosperity. And I wore torn jeans and flip flops to class. Take that, townie bar hoppers!

I do own pearls now, though.

Also, we now have a wireless keyboard, so I couldn't find it when I wanted to comment on your blog, because Jon uses it from across the room and doesn't put it back. Geez. Technology.

mallory said...

Well said! I like it when you get feisty! Those haters are just jealous.

Anonymous said...

amen. amen. preach it.

also, fun fact, world. uva's curry school of education rocks the whole world's socks off. number 5 elementary education program in the country!

uva is the BOMB!!

Gillian said...

You go girl!! I unfortunately just missed UVA (though at Mary Washington not JMU) but I am proud of my UVA diploma bearing husband! He is the brains of the family and the bread winner---thank you very much.

It makes me so upset when collage towns---even fake Northern Virginia Fredericksburg, complain about their students. I also DOUBT that UVA would even have the hippies if it wasn't for UVA.

If you ever need to borrow a pair of pearls I have extras ;).

Jaime said...

Wait.... I'm confused...WHO is the hater???


I love a UVA student. I also love a hater. Consider yourself loved.

N said...

Megan, that is so sad...."I don't know, Bonnie, I mean, she reads so slow!" lol My parents let me go all the way through third grade before they figured out I had a lisp and did something about it. I like to hear stories about your dad when he couldn't pronounce his r's. lol

Our parents are hilarious....I realize this is all pretty random, but gimme a break, it's 5 am. Hope you guys are doing well!