Thursday, October 29, 2009

Homeschool?

A small family at the park this morning made me seriously question the desire to ever/maybe/possibly home school my future young children. They were so unique. The children would NOT stop talking to me and Poland. I found out how old they were, what their names were, when their birthdays were, when their older siblings birthdays were, what they were doing there, etc. They didn't even pause to let me inject an "oh" or "uh huh." Then one of the young ones needed to go to the bathroom. Mom said to just go over behind that bush and carefully bend over. That was the bush that I chase Poland around sometimes. Never will again. I was really appalled because we were at a public park. Then to make matters worse, the child doesn't even hide behind the bush but just squatted near it. I really didn't want to see that. Poland was confused.

Now I know not all home schoolers are freak shows. I used to be one of them. I was home schooled until the sixth grade. Crazy, right? To my knowledge, my sister and I were pretty cool kids (at least I remember it that way). But regardless of being home schooled in our early elementary years, we blossomed into normal public school graduating stars. Just look at the senior superlatives, don't they say it all???* I got "Best Singer", "Most Musical" and "Best Hair" (but I could only be awarded one so they chose best singer) and my sis got "Best Looking" two years later. Come on now and tell me we weren't normal!

After working in the public schools, I sort of made a decision to try hard to home school my kids at least in kindergarten. I really didn't like the way the children were treated in school and thought that learning should happen in a way contrary to what was being taught. I certainly wouldn't home school them very long but while they are still small, tender hearted lil' creatures I thought I might try. But after today, I pretty much flushed all of that down the toilet. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

*Please be mindful of my sarcasm.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

you crack me up.

Bek said...

Hahaha... were they wearing jumpers?

Jennifer said...

i love you.

Matt Fischer said...

haha i think that had more to do with the fact that those poor kids minds were probably warped from being in such close proximity to UVA more than with them being homeschooled.

Know that I am praying for you and Michael and for the Lord's will to be done in your life. Keep trucking even when things don't make sense. I love you guys!



**note the sarcasm.