Thursday, July 2, 2009

Nature

Everyone knows Florida is famous for it's wealth of tiny little salamanders and frogs. There was no shortage of them in Daytona. This picture below is one of my all time favorites. Now I do not have have nice, good quality camera but my little point and shoot impressed me with this one, Love it?

This fat guy was taking a walk out in the sand dunes. I thought turtles were slow but he was very fast, blew my mind. Apparently this is a tortoise...who knew?


The people that put this sign up are probably the same people who knew that this turtle was a tortoise. I know that sea turtle nesting is important but I never knew how extreme it was, "VIOLATORS SUBJECT TO FINES AND IMPRISONMENT." Imprisonment? What on earth is this world coming to? I like animals - puppies, kittens, tanked fish, stuffed animals - but PETA has taken things way too far. I can see it now, Inmate #1, "What are you in for?" Inmate #2, "Manslaughter, 1st degree murder. You?" #1, "I sat on a sea turtle's nest." Ridiculous. Fines are Ok, imprisonment is not. Humans have freedom and rights, animals don't need it. Our Founding Fathers would disapprove.





3 comments:

christa said...

Its looks like you all are having a fun vacation! I love the post about the sleeping arrangements - every family can relate to that!

Watch out for those turtles - we wouldn't want to have to bail you out.

mallory said...

I used to LOVE the sea turtle nests in Florida. We used to rescue them when they would hatch. They would start crawling away from the ocean towards the city lights instead of towards the moon reflecting on the water. Look like yall are having an awesome time!

Jaime said...

I used to have two pet lizzards named Janet and Bruno. So fun to see the critters! How much do you love being off for the summer?! Redemption.