Thursday, July 30, 2009

Difficult Times

I am deeply saddened to the point of tears about the recent news of an acquaintance's passing away. One of my previous wedding client's father was killed in a head on collision with a drunk driver last Friday. His son sent out a mass email last night explaining what had happened and it is simply devastating. Mr. Wenzel and his wife were on their way home from the hospital (Mrs. Wenzel is going through chemo as a cancer survivor) when a F-450 crossed the middle line and hit them head on. I can't imagine their family's pain right now. The son, who sent the email, said that, "Somehow, I don't have anger for the driver but I am just purely saddened when thinking it didn't have to be this way."

Mr. and Mrs. Wenzel had left such an awesome impression on me after working with them and their family during the wedding. He was such a cool guy. His son mentioned in his email how much he missed him already....I just can't imagine his pain. I feel compelled to do more than just pray for them but I have no clue what to do. Would his children even care if I sent them an email/letter? If anyone who reads this has ever lost their beloved father in such a tragic way, please share what a son in his position needs at a time like this. I doubt any men read this blog, but if you do please give me some insight on how to best serve them. Post anonymously, I don't care.

If you're interested, here's a site.

I was wondering why I have been seeing and hearing more and more of these types of tragedies lately, but I realized that it's just because I am living longer and life keeps going on. I think of how many deaths my parents have had to live through. I understand it is a part of life and I am so thankful that I have hope in my Beautiful Saviour and I can trust in Him at all times! I pray that everyone who goes through tragic moments in life will have an opportunity to turn to the One who will one day wipe away every tear from our eyes.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Megan- it is never, ever too late to write a note to a family who is grieving. If you wrote the personal story about Mr. Wentz and what you saw in him, and don't add some well-meaning pious platitudes; the family will always be grateful. Trust me.

Anonymous said...

I took the popular "Death and Dying" class at UVA last semester. The strongest take home point we were given was this: the 1-month anniversary of a death is the loneliest time for grieving persons. Condolences have usually stopped by then but the loss is still fresh for the family. Following up with the family on that anniversary to see how they're doing and expressing that you're still thinking of them may mean the world to them.