Thursday, July 16, 2009

A little piece of me gone: Michael Jackson

It's been three weeks now since the news of Michael Jackson shocked the world. Shocked the world and shook mine up a little bit. I knew that I needed to write a commemorative post for him, but I simply haven't been able to bring myself to do it. I'm heartbroken. I cried at the news. The moment I heard, I didn't know what else to do so I simply turned on my MJ itunes and got in the shower.

(I am having trouble even writing this post ...judge me if you must but I loved Michael.) For so many reasons I am upset at this monumental loss. He was my favorite singer (alongside of Shania). He was my pop idol. His dances moves.....his voice.......his songwriting. There is some out-of-body experience that happens when I hear his music.
One time at a Justin Timberlake concert, Timbaland had a little DJ-type intersession and they played a bunch of videos on the jumbotron. I was fine until all of a sudden Michael Jackson came on the screen singing "Beat It." Ashleigh was with me and we lost it. We were screaming at the top of our lungs, crying, jumping up and down. I swear it. Freakshows, we know, but we could NOT control ourselves.

On our honeymoon, there was an evening show of a Michael Jackson impersonator!!! I teared up! On our honeymoon, it wasn't live music, it wasn't MJ himself...but I still was moved.

People, like your pastors and a bunch of the worship team members, mention Michael Jackson's name and I bust out in tears?! I'm obsessed.

I was too young to realize that he had concerts back in the 90s, but when he announced that he was touring in London, I became bound and determined to go. Going to see Michael Jackson live was on my "Life Checklist" of things I have to do. What now?

I will be a supporter of Michael Jackson for the rest of my life. I always was. People were so cruel to him about all those stupid allegations. I can't stand it. He was innocent and all you needed to do was watch his life story bios and listen to MJ talk about his experiences. Ashleigh, I know you understand.


At a wedding reception a couple weeks ago, they played some of my all time favorite Michael Jackson songs. Normally I would be all over that dance floor, but this was different. Luckily Ash was there too and she knew that we just couldn't dance yet. It was terrible and I know Michael would have wanted us to dance but one day we will dance again.

Some of my favorite songs are:
1. The Way You Make Me Feel
2. Black and White
3. Don't Stop Till You Get Enough
4. Man In the Mirror
5. Beat It
6. Bad
7. You Rock My World
8. Billie Jean

I could watch his videos for hours and not get bored. Luckily the 25th anniversary album of Thriller came with a nice little DVD of some of his short films and videos.

Make it known that we will be naming our future son Jackson Michael. (Michael won't let it be the other way around, but I'm happy with that!) And with that, I leave you with gratitude for reading this post and paying tribute to the world's greatest star ever!



3 comments:

Bek said...

This post makes me miss you.

Also, you were in my dream last night, where a called a fat man a pervert to his face in front of everybody. :)

mallory said...

I really didn't know how profoundly deep your affections for MJ were until I read this beautiful tribute. Time will help heal your broken heart and one day you will dance again to his catchy tunes. MJ lives on forever in your heart!

Jaime said...

Sister. I DO still love you, but Jackson Michael? Really? You are too funny.