Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Reflections on today

I watched this morning's events with a bit of excitement but mostly fainting hope and a little sadness as we witnessed a chapter closing. The inauguration was regal and patriotic but I was determined not to get wrapped up in the media hype of worshiping our new president. I am happy to embrace the workings of racial reconciliation in our nation and I will respect and pray for our president. But nonetheless I fear for the well-being of our country in the long run under his leadership and the influence of the cabinet he has chosen. I will do my part to stay informed and work to get to a place where I too can fight for the Change I believe in. 

But I had to watch the events at work - in a public school - where everyone surrounding me just might be union members. I sat and listened as old men and women (who once again I mistakenly assumed were wiser and more educated than myself) poked fun at George Bush Sr. for his choice of hat and Barbara Bush for not "helping her husband walk down the stairs." They had a comment for everything that involved a Bush. No respect.  And what for? Do they even take the time to find out the real issues in politics. No one seems to take into account the Presidency that Bush inherited from Clinton or the fact that a leftist majority in congress has been running the show for years. No, common sense doesn't seem to stand for much any more.

Like many of us have been saying since the election in November, let's show the other side of Americans what it is like to show respect and encouragement to a leader who is not of our political ideology. Let's show them how to be adults and not waste our time ragging on the less important media matters and that we can recognize our party's problems and begin to reform them. Let's show them that at the end of the day, we know that we are all citizens of the same country and we do not want to turn neighbors against each other. After all, America is the greatest place on Earth to live.

3 comments:

Jaime said...

Did you know that Michelle's outfit was $1,500.00!!

Just kidding...

We can either laugh together or cry alone, siesta... Praise His name that Change you speak of is well on His way.

Bek said...

Amen! I wholeheartedly agree with you! It was a good reminder for me. I've been pouting since the Inauguration.

I'm glad I'm friends with smart people.

christa said...

America IS the greatest place on earth! It drives me crazy when people do disrepectful things (like turn their back to the flag during the national anthem), yet enjoy all the freedoms and benefits of an American. Love your post!