Monday, November 10, 2008

No ordinary Monday

This morning a giant hot air balloon almost ran into our next door neighbors house. Michael got home from the gym and said "hey, did you see the hot air balloon?" I said "No? Where is it?" Then I heard the scary sound of the fire blowing, which I think resembles a transformer, and I looked up in the sky lights in our bed room and saw big orange and blue stripes. The air balloon was actually landing in the parking lot of our townhomes! Had our neighbors been home, their cars would have been crushed. 

I thought it was so neat to see the huge thing land right next to us. Seeing a perfect blog image, I ran to get my camera - but the battery died immediately. I ran to get Michael's camera - but his wouldn't even turn on. So then I got the video camera. That worked just fine, but I still don't know how to share the footage with you all.  The balloon men then began to deflate the huge sphere. It was so crazy looking because the balloon was sweeping up against our house and all you could see through the windows were the blues and oranges stripes! I felt like I was a child in a tumbling class playing inside a parachute. I ended up being late for work, but I felt great because I saw a hot air balloon up close! 

Why is gasoline in Charlottesville so expensive? In comparison to every other city in the US, we have such high gas prices. $2.03 is the cheapest price I have seen here. We were in Harrisonburg on Saturday and their prices were $1.95. I ain't tryin' to be greedy, but I do like to see gas be $1.something. 

Michael and I split a Peppermint Chocolate Chip Chic-fil-a Milkshake tonight. It was so good. I felt like Christmas. What's so wrong with wanting to decorate for Christmas already? I can't wait to put lights up, and wreathes, candles, trees, holly, snowmen, etc. But Michael adamently insists that we cannot decorate until after Thanksgiving. So I shall withhold my eagerness. Michael's Crafts Store just ushers in the season so well....

4 comments:

Gillian said...

Your entry is so vivid I can picture the balloon descending on your community.

I completely agree about Christmas decorating-if Borders and Starbucks has their winter drinks out why can I not start figuring out where I am going to place my decorations? Last year I made the mistake of going shopping when I was sick with a fever and came back with way to many Christmas decorations. All before Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

As I sit and sip my peppermint mocha twist coffee, I know exactly what you mean. With all the stores already putting up Christmas decor (some even before Halloween) you start feeling it early. Jonathan has also banned any Christmas decor until the day after Thanksgiving. I have decided that eventhough I cannot decorate, I can make decorations. Although it helps, I think I'm now more eager to decorate with my homemade ornaments and trinkets.

Bek said...

Well I hate to brag, but MY husband is letting me decorate the week before thanksgiving. But not until then. So. Hah.

Or let's just decorate before they get home one day and then, there it is. No taking them down. Everyone knows taking down Christmas decorations is the most depressing thing EVER, so there we all go. Sneaky decorating it is.

Meg. Thank you for blogging about the balloon. I would still like to see the video. And your excited face.

Love

kaely said...

gas at just about $2 a gallon?? tell me i'm dreaming! i'm jealous because i'm still paying about $3 a gallon on the west coast....

that hot air balloon escapade sure sounds like fun :)