Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Did I really buy this...

I was kind of watching Dr. Phil the yesterday while I was working out at Gold's.  He had an episode about risky teen behavior and the big deal was this drug called Salvia. Salvia is completely legal in most of the US but is as highly dangerous as heroin or LSD. And hundreds of thousands of people abuse this drug. All of a sudden this rang a little bell in my head...

This summer while Michael and I were in Cinque Terre, Italy, I was in a tiny shop on the coast picking out goodies to bring home. I found these precious little pieces of pottery that had herbs and spices painting on them and even contained some inside! I picked out two - a red one and a blue one - thinking I'd keep one and give one to Mom. The red was "Timo" or thyme and the
 blue was "Salvia" and I didn't know what that meant in english. I was delighted with my
 pleasant purchase and kept them wrapped up for safe keeping until we set foot again on American soil. 

We returned to the states and distributed gifts to all our loved ones. I let Mom pick between the blue and the red, knowing full well she'd pick the blue. She didn't know what "Salvia" was either.  Up until yesterday I hadn't thought much more of our little italian herbs. And the more I listened to Dr. Phil, the more I began to think, "Oh my word. I gave my mom heroin!" Now that I think about it, the "spices" are packaged in a peculiar fashion. 

Here is the product that captured my affection in the little italian village. See? So cute!:


And above is the oddly packaged spice.

Now, I know this is a picture of my thyme but that is because the Heroin is sitting on top of my mother's kitchen sink!?!? There has been a terrible drug just sitting in her house for months and we didn't even know it. I shall leave no temptation sitting in my family's house - especially with a teenage brother!  Can I get in trouble for this? Did I break the law? I smuggled in drugs to the Americas and I wasn't even aware of it. I gave it to my sweet mom as a gift!  We can't burn it cause then someone may get high. We can't just throw it away for fear of others finding it. We can't bury it in our yard because then an entire Salvia tree will bust out of the ground! Dear me. What have I gotten us into?

6 comments:

Jaime said...

I too saw the Dr.Phil special randomly while getting "gel nail" (singular) done at Creative nails... AND I enjoyed a peppermint Fil-A milkshake at the same time. Weird! Anyways, that mother who smoked it with her son was out of control. I find it hysterical that Selvia is on your mom's window sil. I think its only harmful is smoked?

Um. I go crazy every time I see a hot air balloon. That is AMAZING. I'm so jealous!

Gillian said...

Megan,
That is so funny! I literally burst out laughing at your post. My guess is don't show the post to your teenage brother and then...flush it? Perhaps in a public restroom so that it can't be traced to your family?

The pot (maybe i should clarify-pottery) is so cute I would have never guessed it held the dreaded Salvia.

We ended up painting our living room/family room "rejuvenate" which is really just a neutral light green. Photos to come when everything is back on the walls:)

Anonymous said...

hahahaahaha that is SO funny. I can't wait till mom reads that! itd be so funny if mom got high

Sarah said...

Oh, Megan, I'm laughing so hard right now. Maybe you should flush it? Maybe one of your dad's FBI buds would know- though it might not be a good idea to tell them?!

Sarah said...

Actually, I just looked up "salvia" and apparently it means "sage." So your drug might, in fact, just be sage. : )

Bek said...

Hahaha! I love the "we can't burn cause someone might get high." hahahah. I MISS YOU!!!!

You should let someone's dog eat it.

Love

Bek