Friday, October 8, 2010

First Love?

The smartphone is everywhere. I can't escape it. We have them when we roll out of bed in the morning, we have them during the work day, we have them in the car and surf the web at stoplights, we have them in church as our Bible, we have them during weddings to check sports scores. Never a moment without them. It drives me crazy. I am not a fan of using the phone while you drive for any purpose other than calling someone. I think it's dangerous and unnecessary (OK googlemaps and GPS is fine). What can possibly be so important that it can't wait until you put the car in park? I also think that phone usage during a public gathering (church service, wedding, funeral) is distracting and also unnecessary. What did humans do with their free time before we had access to the world wide web literally in the palm of our hand? I may be old school/old fashioned but I enjoy the times when I get lift my head up and focus on the world happening around me and not peer into the tiny HD screen on my phone.


4 comments:

CommonSense85 said...

Wait a minute. I think she's talking about me.

To answer one question, I think people were much more bored before these phones came out. Or at least less informed about baseball scores.

Michelle said...

Hahaha. I agree with you Megan. That's why I won't buy a smartphone..I know I'll get hooked and I don't want to be attached to it all the time :)

Brad said...

First off, I'm offended by that photo... could you not have found one of me where I wasn't making a terrible face?

Secondly, umm... well... smart phones are cool... so there.

Emily Wismer said...

Called out! I love it :D