Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Latin Dance...

Kicked my butt this morning. I have never felt like the worst dancer in a group before, but now I have experienced it. And it's awful.

I tried out this class called Latin Dance Mix taught by Leo. Thinking it would be a small group since it was 10:30am on a Tuesday morning, I walked in with dancer's confidence in my spandex and electric blue portico women's fit tee. Wrong, wrong and wrong. There were at least 50 people in the dance room. I didn't count exactly because I was too embarrassed to look around. It was as if I walked into Oprah's book club meeting where everyone knows each other and was ready to burst into the book they knew all about. Then a fashionably late Mr. Latino walks in and begins the music and immediately the group begins to bust out this sexy combo. I was shocked. You should've seen me try to copy the instructor, I was always a step behind or waving my left hand when it should have been my right. It's a good thing I am a dancer with some training, I don't know how someone without it could manage. As the hour went on, I got better and felt a bit more confident. I enjoyed it, until Leo would change the dance move just as I gained momentum and continued to jump while everyone was merengue-ing low to the floor.

We got a fantastic workout and, very humbled, I will return. I will have to work on bringing my jazzy, precise execution down a few notches to a more spicy latino flow. Anyone care to join me?

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I love this. I can just imagine you in this class. Maybe you can teach me some moves some time because despite being a "latina", I have no moves.

Lisa said...

haha...your description was perfect. I actually saw you in the class :) I would love to do something like that after baby...but if you had to focus then I'm sure I would look like a fool!