Saturday, October 11, 2008

Park Here

Over the past four years UVA home games have been quite the "to-do" with my family. The parents have 4 season tickets, in a fantastic section of the stadium I might add, and with a sports fanatic Father, Brother and Husband every game is a big deal. But the best part about home football games is the money making opportunity. In the back of my parents UVA house, "The Chateau," is a huge gravel lot. Why is that important? Because you can craftily fit 35 cars in the space and at the rate of $25 a car - that is a beautiful sight. Yes folks, football fans will indeed pay twenty-five dollars to park. 

We have quite a system worked out and I will venture to say we have the hottest venue on Price Avenue. My dad is the parking facilitator, money collector, friend maker, tailgate overseer. Preston and Michael stand at the bottom of the driveway sporting the hot pink sign I made that reads "PARK HERE." Competition with the neighbors has increased this year so their role is vital these days. And I, well, I work the corner. 

Four years and counting I have stood on the corner of Maury Ave and Price Ave holding my neon orange poster that says "PARK" with an arrow pointing towards our house.  I might be a bit prideful in saying this but I do believe that I am famous among the football regulars. No no it's not all glamour and sunburn, I deal with my fair share
 of drunk rednecks. The following are a brief sampling of comments hurled my way - every UVA home game:

-"Hey there! Can I park next to you?"
-"How much hunny?"
-"Park? Where's the park?"
-"I bet if you hike up them shorts you might get more people."
-"I like your boots." 
-" So that's how y'all do it! Send a pretty girl to hold the sign." 
-"Why don't you put a bikini on?"
-"Wanna come drink some moonshine?"
-"Hey hunny! Haven't seen you in forever" (Mind you I am there every week.)
-"Woo Woo Hey girl!"






Here's a pic of some of the Hoo Crew in 2005:


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I'm no math major but even I can do $35 by 25. That is some awesome cash. Next time I need parking in Charlotesville I'll know who to call!

Boni said...

Megan, you gave me a great moment of laughter. Brianna thinks you "should have chosen a cuter picture" of her. Next game I'll bring some good food for a mini tailgate. then perhaps I'll carve out a spot in the parking memories. You can always count on your mom for the FOOD. love you!
Mom

Bek said...

hahahah! Brianna's face in that picture is hilarious! In addition, "wanna come drink some moonshine?" is my absolute fav. I love Charlottesville.

mallory said...

The idea of you "working" a corner is hilarious. Get ready because my brother in law and his crazy crew from UNC are descending upon your parking lot tomorrow! It could get a little out of control.