Friday, December 20, 2013

Passing Days

We've had good days and less good days here in San Angelo. The challenges have been due mostly to the fact that we visited the doctor 4 times in the first two weeks here. Carmen had a really high fever and cough which ended up being an ear infection. Plus she's had a big old cold since before Thanksgiving. Poor girl doesn't know life without the taste of snot anymore. Then she got what we thought was Pinkeye, it cleared up the day after we took her to the doctor for it. I came down with a random case of mastitis - flu symptoms and all. And then we moved here just in time to need to find a pediatrician to give Brooks his 4 month vaccines. Oh and yesterday I could barely walk with some sort of ankle sprain. No memory of falling/bruising/hurting my ankle. It was bizarre - and swollen and crippling and painful. But life doesn't stop for mommies with gimpy legs. We're ok now though! But if you wonder why your Christmas present doesn't make it to you on time, then that's why! 

Other than that...oh wait. Carmen had a good two weeks of "let's show mommy and daddy what life with the terrible twos looks like." She screamed every night for about an hour and woke up just about every 2 hours. We chalked it up to, well being 2, and the big move, new home, sickness, and then the cold turkey switch from sleeping in a crib to her own queen bed in an unfamiliar room. I had a couple grocery trips where she SCREAMED her way through the store. It was awful and I was in tears by the end of it. Folks helped me to my car and loaded the bags for me. People here are just so darn helpful. I've have more women stop and help me here than ever before. People are often holding the carseat, putting Carmen in the shopping cart for me, taking my bags, holding my diaper bag. Apparently I give off the appearance of having my hands full. I do. And I've been humbled and gladly accept all the help I am offered. 

She's getting back to her sweet self now and we're able to enjoy the town a little more. Here is one playground we found that she likes:

We've been loving the Christmas movies on the tv these days. (See how long her hair is getting!)

Our Christmas Tree! I handmade one of these last year and was so pleased with it. I forgot to bring it with us. I hated buying this darn perfect one at Michaels. It mocks me. 

Eggemeyer's General Store! We have spent hours in here! It's an old-timey general store on historic Concho Avenue that has gifts and goodies galore! Many Christmas presents were purchased here. The is also where we've been getting our freshly ground coffee. They have about 20 flavors to choose from.

Here's the sick sweetpea, sleeping on me.

It may be hard to see but below is the courthouse with "Merry Christmas" lights hung on it and a large nativity scene in the front lawn. I love Texas. 

We stop by the store whenever we are out and about (everything is SO close here, unlike northern Virginia.) Here's Carmen helping out with the sandwich buns:

We've been introduced to some absolutely wonderful people here. Ashley (the other IM wife - she's the greatest!) has many mom friends from the church here and they meet up for playdates weekly. BUT...at McDonalds since our store is drive-thru only. This was the first time I've been in a McD's in years! I felt like I was cheating on Chick-fil-A. I documented Carmen getting her first Happy Meal. She didn't love it but she did love the toy. Chick-fil-A is hands down a better place to be ;) 

Here's another fabulous park with a giant, toddler friendly playground:

And here are Ashley's boys that I've simply fallen in love with! They are cute, cute, cute! We will miss them when we move on. 


2 comments:

The Woloszczuk Case said...

Oh Megan, the sickness can be due by the fact of the new environment, when I moved to the us I was so sick for a while and the same happened when we moved to France Katya had some fever , ear infection and many cold . But let s say it maybe good for the immune system, it will get stronger. I am so happy for you that you could meet some mommies it soo important to be able to get out and see people ;). I wish you could send some of the Texas people here because the only thing I got here is grumpy people because I don't go fast enough ( not so easy with one kid and being preg I am sure you know what I mean). Hope you will feel better for Christmas and you will have an amazing one! I will call soon after the holidays :) love ( we will keep in our prayers) isabelle...

Boni said...

Loved the pic and writing! I don't know how I missed it from 4 days ago! But there wasn't a pic of little Brooks...Life will be great for a few days in Oklahoma...then you'll be off again. Let's hope for an awesome place to live and a smoother transition for precious Carmen. Merry Christmas from Nonni.