Thursday, August 12, 2010

Social Networking Spell Check

Ok some help here please:

Yay vs. Yeah

I've always thought that "Yay" is how you spell the verbal emotion for excitement/ joy/ happiness. Ex: "Yay! I got a latte!"

I've always thought that "Yeah" is how you spell the verbal positive agreement such as, "Yeah, I guess you are right." I've thought it a short hand for "yes".

But sometimes I see people say, "Yeah! I got the job!" or "We went to church! Yeah!" And I think that it is funny because they are not saying "yay"?

Does this make sense? If it does, what it the correct usage of each? I don't want to be made fun of for misusing "yeah."


7 comments:

mallory said...

I totally agree with you on the yay vs. yeah distinction. I guess some people really might say "I got a latte, yeah!" but it's not what I would say.

P.S. Every time I hear...

I came to dance, dance, dance, dance...I think of you!! :)

Esther Diehl said...

I agree with you.

I always wonder if people actually read what they wrote when they write those words.

Esther Diehl said...

Wow. My grammar is awful.

Bek said...

Agree. "Yay" has the 'y' at the end, to ensure you read it with the "ay" sound. That's my logic. So I agree with you.

Worthy.

Worthley.

You're right - they're practically the same word.

Sarah said...

I totally agree. Also, I know some people who spell "yeah" like "yea" or "ya." What in the world? I can't help reading it as something rhyming with "yay," like "yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death..." And "ya" isn't anything, unless it's a Russian letter (which it is) or some word that you pronounce "yah."

I just have to come to the conclusion that some people don't read.

Jen Stokes said...

My understanding was always that "Yea" was the actual grammatical spelling for "Yay," while "Yeah" was the informal version of yes. Then again, I'm not sure either are considered proper vernacular. :-)

Jaime said...

I'd just like to say, WHO HAS TIME TO CARE?!! Boo.... Now what I DO want to know is how on earth to say Yahoojah. Have you seen that on LPM?? Is it a Texas thing?! Please. Help me.