Thursday, September 4, 2008

Too much latte love?

So I was eating some mixed nuts today and I came across a hazelnut. I cleared my mouth of other nut tastes so that I could really focus on the flavor of it. As I chewed on the little guy, I said to Michael, "wow, this really tastes like a hazelnut latte!"

Shameful isn't it? Taste assimilation is suppose to be the other way around - the pink starburst emulates the flavor of a natural, farm grown strawberry, the gummi coke bottles are meant to taste like real coke-a-cola, jelly bellys are created simply to give us the kick of tasting other foods in them. Do I revolve that much around my starbucks lattes that I feel the world around me is trying to be like the coffee drinks? What came first - the hazelnut latte or the hazelnut itself.

What is the world coming to these days? John McCain, please bring America back to our old farm country roots.

3 comments:

Gillian said...

That is too funny and yet too true. The sad thing is I don't even know what a true hazelnut tastes like anymore.

mallory said...

Confession...I have never tasted a real hazelnut. My ONLY knowledge of the flavor is from coffee-creamer. Tragic indeed.

Jaime said...

I think Sarah Palin would order a Hazelnut Latte for sure. Non-fat, of course. She IS a conservative afterall. I can practically see her rum rasin all-day lipstick ring round the cup.

Drink on, siesta!