Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Aaaand it's done

Our house went under contract within 6 days of being on the market. Everyone has stories of how fast their homes sold in the past but I didn't count on us being one of them. Fortunately, we had a lot of interested buyers and more than one offer so when this one in particular looked good, we took it! We are very thankful and will miss this house so much.

Now to begin the big time packing. I have a hard time bending over with my baby belly, get fully exhausted  after climbing 2 sets of stairs and notice that my feet start swelling with the smallest standing tasks so this should be fun. I also need to determine where everything we own goes - does it stay with us packed in light suitcases? Does it get fully wrapped and sealed and put into long term storage? Does it get thrown out/donated/given away? Thankfully, there isn't a whole lot going on right now besides planning my best friend's (!!!) bridal shower - which I love to do. If anyone loves to pack or watch one of the world's cutest little girls let me know.

In this season of major changes for our family, I've also noticed how incredibly overwhelming the world we are living in is. I feel that this is my time to simplify and reduce the worries. Everyone has something to say about your health care, your hobbies, your parenting style, your diet, the car you're driving, the household organization your using, etc. I cannot keep up. And I'm OK with that. I fully understand that these are folk's opinions or honest to goodness attempts at seemingly bettering the lives of others and I'm very thankful for our incredible outlets of social media that allow us to do this. But I find myself needing to draw back. There is no place for guilt in my life right now. We are trying to be the best stewards of what we've been given and I can't put outside pressure on myself. What does this mean? Well, I buy Cheez-its and let my daughter eat them. I can't always afford the non-GMO/all organic/artificial flavor-free treats.  We eat at Chick-fil-A a lot and I get Carmen 4 count nuggets, the fruit cup and chocolate milk every time. I don't feel guilty. I drive an SUV and use a lot of gas. So be it. I don't keep labeled clothing bins or organized cleaning product baskets (some day I will!). I don't Purell Carmen's hands unless I'm completely grossed out with where we've been. I usually forget to even wash her hands. She has eaten a handful of topsoil straight out of the bag - literally - and swallowed it all. We just washed it down with water, because, what else could we do?! I don't have the energy or desire to meal plan above and beyond the following check list: Are we getting protein? Are there good nutrients in it? Will it fill our bellies? Is there cheese in my future? And there we have it. Thankfully we have no reason to cut out certain food groups and take on the anxiety of all that - that would be too much for me right now. All I'm trying to express here is that, if it fits for you, living intentionally yet with no fads to follow can be acceptable and, in my case, burden-lifting. The comparison game is exhausting and not the way the Lord calls us to live. I have to actively release the guilt I feel when I read a snippet of someones recommendations for doing something better. I'm picking my battles cautiously these days and training my mind to be set on things above. It's the only way I can live. I'm probably in a small minority of northern VA minds, but I'd rather be here. I'm so grateful for God's gifts in my life and my intention is to approach each day with thankfulness in everything.

5 comments:

Gillian said...

Such a good post! You are always an inspiration and a reminder to keep my own focus on the Lord. Now, when would it be convenient for me to come over and help you pack??

Sarah said...

May, I'm totally with you on the food thing. I get exhausted reading/hearing about all the things we shouldn't be eating and all the things we supposedly MUST be eating to be healthy. I just feel like... you know, I'll do what I can do, but I can't avoid every single thing that might possibly harm me somehow. I wish I could see you and eat cheese-its with Carmen. love y'all!

Heather said...

I love this post. You said it to a T! And I would be willing to watch a cute girl anytime you need, and she will get hot dogs and goldfish for lunch! :-)

Jen Stokes said...

YES! From one Cheez-It buying, nugget/fruit cup/choc milk feeding mom to another! (Seriously, that sounded EXACTLY like how we operate.) Except we do 6 count nuggets x2. And I always sneak a milkshake for myself. So own it, sister!

Jen Stokes said...

Oh, also, YES about the sanitizer and the hand washing. Barely ever. *sigh* Thanks for saying it. This reminded of the day before I had kids when I wiped Campbell's nose with my sleeve. HAHA! It happens to the best of us.