Thursday, December 6, 2012

Grocery Shopping

Man oh man, can grocery shopping be stressful. I think it's the budget looming over my head that makes me cringe every time I have to buy something expensive or I decide to get something not on my list. I'm not a great sale hunter and I've learned that I can't buy ahead or stock up on items because I will waste them. We try it all. I jump around from Wegmans to Trader Joes to BJs to Harris Teeter to Giant to online ordering and back to Wegmans. I mix it up nearly every week. 

BJs surprises me and has a big selection of the organic foods we buy. It's absolutely the best/cheapest way to buy organic. As a family, Michael and I have committed to using organic dairy products, meat and poultry, and certain produce (I usually follow the dirty dozen rule). It definitely limits my choices for shopping and also costs a bit more, but I feel it's worth it. My dad laughs at me and my organic preference, but he grew up on a cattle farm and had all the quality red meat, chicken, fresh milk and veggies you could want. No need for the "organic" label there. I have it in my mind that wherever I'm purchasing from did not raise their food that way so give me "antibiotic free" please. I'm the first to admit, I'm not that educated on the subject but I'm friends with folks who are and I've been listening to them. Michael and I both agree that you can taste a major difference in organic meat and dairy. Especially ground beef. 

On a side note, this only pertains to the food we cook in our home. We eat whatever is served us in other's homes and it doesn't stop us from eating out. I have Chick-fil-A usually twice a week, Carmen too. We get our fill of regular chicken there. But Carmen gets organic raisins and Annie's Cheddar Bunnies and organic hot dogs so I feel like it evens out. :) 

I tried out Walmart today. I felt like a huge snob because I had a bad attitude about it. But I think I did save some money AND they actually had the Horizon's brand there. I did however put back the stew meat that I had originally thrown in the cart. It made me sick just looking at it.

And wow, this is the most boring post ever. I'm sorry. It's late (OK only 8:45pm) and I'm alone and have been alone most of the day so I kind of feel like I'm talking/blogging to my Community Group ladies. But I'm not.... so  we're done here. 

2 comments:

Cathleen Jones said...

I appreciate this post and your need for companionship through blogging and your openness to eating other things at other people's house and not being a weirdo about it. haha. xoxo

amanda june said...

i love you and i love soup and i love organic food.

those were only sort of in the correct order.