Thursday, October 20, 2011

Thoughts for the Moment

My reality with a new baby is a lot different than I thought it would be. I thought things would be so drastically abnormal but they're not. And at the same time they are.

I am still me and Michael is still Michael. Our family and friends are the same. Our home is the same. My sense of humor, preferences, talents, likes and dislikes are the same. Just now there's a baby! I had this weird, un-thought out idea that somehow life as I knew it would be no more- in a twilight zone sort of way. But it's not!

What IS entirely different is what my individual hours in the day look like. Things that happen: I feed the baby, change and dress the baby, bathe the baby, hold the baby, play with the baby, put the baby to sleep, watch the baby sleep, and do it all over again. Things that rarely ever happen: shower, getting dressed, laundry, deep cleaning, washing dishes, completing an email or two, blogging (today is a lucky day), remembering what it was I walked up or downstairs to do, folding laundry, tidying up the house, getting the mail, going to the grocery store, getting wedding work done (scary one!), buying gifts for weddings, showers and birthdays, going to the bathroom (TOTAL change from 6 weeks ago when I lived on the toilet), writing thank you notes, cooking, uploading pictures on the computer. It just doesn't happen. And I think this is all part of Carmen still being so little and new. It's got to become possible to do simple tasks again right??

Though I'd like to shower and clean up the house, those things just aren't as necessary as feeding a new baby. And paying so much attention to my little darling is absolutely worth it!

This morning at 7:30am:

2 comments:

Laura F. said...

It is called being a good mom! Not that people who getting all those things done are not but you have found your priorities! Even with a 2.5 year old I realize she will never remember if the dishes were in the sink or the house was spotless or if I was showered and well dressed all the time. But she WILL remember mommy playing with her and loving her all the time and putting her needs before my own! Welcome to motherhood! Sounds like you are doing wonderful!

*Note I'm one of Mallory Andrews friends so I found your blog through her*

Megan said...

Laura thank you for your comment! I really found it encouraging and have already put your words into practice when I start to think about how behind I am on chores. Holding my baby girl is priceless! You can give me advice anytime. :)